Skip to main content

pizza rats deserve the world by anna lindwasser



pizza rats deserve the world


nyc has the best pizza in the world and if you say otherwise i’ll fight you in the sewer with two rats tied around my hands and two pigeons lifting me up by the shoulders. one time my formerly brooklynite father directed me to luigi’s pizza. the sourdough crust made me want to transform into a hawk so i could steal slices from dive-bombed customers. 2bros cradled me through broke and drunken nights. artichoke basille replaced my heart. lombardi’s could stuff me into a brick oven and id happily lick its insides.

 

my hometown is beautiful and impossible and we have the best pizza in the world. i went to maryland one time and had pizza in dessert pie crust. that pizza made me want to transform into a hawk so i could snatch it from customers’ hands and then fly back to nyc to get them some real pizza.

 

but lately i’ve been thinking about how nyc is just one cell in the animal of earth. i’m an anxiety dream turned flesh, built for chaos but not for change. nyc is a frothing sea of madness but it’s my sea and it’s my madness and i always always always know where to find the best pizza i’ve ever tasted in my life.

 

my veins are tracked with subway lines, i’m a pizza rat who loves its habitat but listen, one time a friend i met tumblr took my sister and me to a pizza spot in new haven, connecticut. we got mashed potato pizza that made me want to turn into a little mouse, fast asleep under a mashed potato blanket.

 

and my god, they make pomegranate & molasses pizza in egypt, ginger pizza in china, coconut pizza in costa rica. i’ve never even tried chicago deep dish. what kind of pizza do they eat on mars? who’s stopping me from falling in love, except for me? dont worry, ill still fight you in the sewers like a goddamn ninja turtle if you dishonor my hometowns pizza, but there are so many stars that can’t be seen from here.


Anna Lindwasser was born and raised in Brooklyn. She thinks her hometown has the best pizza but she's open to other ideas. Her work has been published in Giving Room Magazine, (mac)ro(mic), and Scarlet Leaf Review, among others. She can be found on Twitter @annalindwasser and at her website annalindwasser.com

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pizza Haiku: Thirds by Marie Little

  Pizza Haiku: Thirds     Our first date pizza I don't do pepperoni do you still want me?   ~   Emotional holes are often filled with pizza temporary fix   ~   Decades of teatime served up many ways to love a goodbye pizza   Marie Little writes poetry and micro fiction and (shh) enjoys pineapple on pizza. She has work featured/forthcoming in various literary magazines/websites/blogs. Marie plays with writing prompts on Twitter  @jamsaucer

Geek Orthodoxy by Shaun Jex

    Geek Orthodoxy   Saturday night We gather 'round the black coffee table– The clickety-clack of polyhedral dice Is punctuated by sudden imprecations  And innovations of profanity  Uttered in the common tongue   A half-eaten box of cheese pizza Sits beside a two-liter of Mountain Dew Each surrounded by a cadre of miniatures Meticulously positioned to appear  As though they are about to feast  On the left-overs   These are our rites and sacraments The unholy communion of grease and sugar Taken in remembrance of His Holiness Leroy Jenkins– Patron Saint and Guardian of the Murder Hobo May he guide our mighty blades Onward to victory       Shaun Jex lives in Dallas, Texas with his wife, two children, and a small menagerie of animals. His work has appeared in publications like Light Poetry Magazine, Cowboy Jamboree, The Quarantine Review, Dirigible Balloon, Celebrations Magazine, Old School Gamer Magazine, and others. His assorted